Maintenance optimisation enables Rolling Stock leasing Company’s (ROSCOs) and Train Operating Company’s (TOCs) to realise significant availability and cost improvements to their fleets while ensuring that fleet reliability is maintained.
Fishbone Solutions delivered Level 1 to 4 exam extensions of between 20 and 33% by:
- Reviewing component maintenance and condition at exams
- Establishing a safe, monitored, mileage extension trial
- Reassessing component condition at extended mileages and presenting a case for extension based on expert condition assessment and suitable mitigations, including amendments to selected level 1 to 4 maintenance tasks
- Reviewing maintenance tasks for suitability to run to extended mileages themselves based on unit maintenance histories and failure modes
- Conducting a controlled programme of trial running to ascertain any requirements for change to wear limits, component inspections, and task periodicity
- Presenting proposals for changes to periodicity to the TOC / ROSCO supporting the changes and other interventions required to optimise the overall benefit
- Obtaining certification for the fleets at extended periodicities based on the evidence and mitigations presented
Similar maintenance periodicity extensions have also been carried out for other operators and ROSCOs, including full VMI revalidation.